Monday, October 31, 2011

Post #7

Because a little misunderstanding about the purpose of primary source, it is hard for me to link the primary source and secondary. I didn’t realize how important the primary source is for this course and our final paper. If I can re choose my primary source I will use secondary source as primary one—black and white films, and shifts primary to secondary clips and singular black and white imagines in the films. Then my theme will focus on why black and white can do the colors cannot do in modern visual arts, film or photo. However, I start to establish my theme on a black and white photo in a magazine; I analyze it from the photo’s content, the structure, the contrast color to how all of them combined to express the visual shock to present the theme. It is amazing to use black and white instead of color in such a realistic content to touch viewers. Then I pick up my second sources, two or three black and white films, also two review articles about these films that who the extreme contrast, unrealistic color show our realistic life, war, history and horrible scenes. The challenge I met is to set “conversation” of primary source and secondary source. My secondary sources are more perusable and plentiful to insist what I conclude on my primary source. So the “conversation” loses balance somehow. My paper’s center of gravity inclines to what is the effect of black and white films. Thanks to rewriting my SSI, I restructure my paper. In each viewpoint, I talk about both my primary source and secondary source, and pay more attention on how the secondary source insists the point that I get from the primary source. This structure is more reasonable and persuadable. What I need to do next to make my paper better is adding more argument from my own point of view. In the draft, I rely on too much what the critics consider about the effects of black and white films. Instead, I should state my agreement or disagreement insistently, showing my attitude. I think if I add more my argument, it is easy to fill an 8 pages paper.


Shiyun Hu

No comments:

Post a Comment