Thursday, September 29, 2011

Social class in china

When I was a kid, my family was not as rich as my friends’ families. Every time I asked my parents to buy some fantastic toys my friends showed to me ,they always told me that it was not suitable for me and I should play something else. At that time I was very unhappy , and felt pretty envy about my friends. I always asked myself why I cannot get the toys I want just as them did. But as time went by, I tended to understand my parents’ explanation because I realized that those toys were quite expensive for our family to afford. It is extremely true that money really matters in contemporary society in China and our social status almost determines what our life qualities would be .
“Bob’s your uncle,” is a commonly used expression in Britain, often used to emphasize how easy it is to do something, or solve a problem. No one would have expected that one hundred and twenty-three years later, “My father is Li Gang!” would come into the Chinese language as a bitter joke, carrying an even more poignant connotation than “Bob’s your uncle.” On the night of October 16, 2010, a drunk young man named Li Qiming was racing his automobile on a lane in Heibei University, Baoding, and hit two female students. One died instantly, and the other was rushed to the hospital, seriously injured. But he didn’t stop, and went on driving to send his girlfriend back to the dorm. He was finally stopped by a throng of security guards and enraged students. He got out of the vehicle and shouted in supreme arrogance as if nothing had happened, “Go head and sue me, my Father is Li Gang!” People may have had no idea who Li Gang was, but his attitude got it across that his father was a powerful figure and he could just get out of this big trouble because of him. It finally turned out that his father was the deputy director of the police department in Baoding and he was sentenced to be imprisoned for seven years ,which the majority of people thought too unfair .And now “My Father is Li Gang!” has become the most popular catchphrase in Chinese people’s daily life. We often heard conversations like this :
Man: “oh, I still cannot get jobs!”
Woman: “No wonder! Because your father is not Li Gang!”
In my previous college and high school, a lot of students have their own cars while other students from poor families could only afford one meal every day. Some students bought a lot of luxuries for their girlfriends while others have to take several part-time jobs to pay for their tuitions. That phenomenon is unfair but also exactly the fact in society in China. Therefore, I want to learn more about what social class are like in United states and how it is different from china’s.

No comments:

Post a Comment