Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Commonplace Essay

For my Commonplace essay, I am planning to continue focusing on my primary source from my ARP, the Mad TV sketch "Bon Qui Qui at King Burger". "Bon Qui Qui at King Burger" is a sketch starring comedian Anjelah Johnson as a girl who works at a fast food restaurant as part of an "Out of the Hood Program". I feel that this will be an effective source as it will likely be relevant to an audience of college students; I know that many of my peers have seen the sketch, have watched Mad TV, or are at least aware of Mad TV and the manner of its humor. Additionally, some students may even be able to relate to Bon Qui Qui herself, as a young girl working in the fast food industry. (Perhaps I can also use the sketch as a jumping off point to discuss the relationship between young adults and work and, in particular, write about how so many young people work in food service.) Furthermore, I feel that the topic is timely because matters of health, the fast food industry, and ideas of human rights are things that are frequently discussed or debated upon, and I could tie those ideas into my essay.

I hope to use the analysis and research from my ARP and use that information to inform an audience of students about the different possible objectives Mad TV. I feel that, by bringing in information about the stereotypes that Mad TV presents in the sketch it may grab readers attention, make them think logically, and bring their emotions into play (whether it makes them angry, sad, or confused). This is important because it also relates to what the Commonplace guide taught us about pathos, logos, and ethos. Although writing for ones peers is a somewhat daunting prospect, I am looking forward to writing in a less formal and more persuasive manner.

No comments:

Post a Comment